Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting ready..


We recently had an answered prayer. This sweet baby was wrong way round (or right side up - if you think about it) until just a couple of weeks ago. I've been blessed to have traditional deliveries and never a baby in breech position. I am told that it is best to deliver when the baby is in position to dive on out. A recent ob appointment included an ultrasound that revealed that he had finally gotten into vertex position - good boy!! The doctor told me that probably explained the relentless two-day headache that I had the week of the ultrasound.

There are still a few days before the due date, but I am told that he is doing great and can come at anytime. I don't have a history of delivering early, though. Even despite these strong, yet irregular contractions, I am not thinking that it is "go time" just yet.
note to self: don't mention contractions that don't result in a baby to anyone who may be babysitting the other children while their sibling is born because it will result in the "are you still having contractions?" phone calls and e-mails on a regular basis. Oh, scratch that. We love the attention.

In addition to usual delivery prayers for baby, the pregnancy prayer intention now is that I deliver with a midwife. Since I last delivered the office policy has changed.. sigh. If I deliver on a Monday-Friday between 7-5 then a midwife will catch the baby. If I deliver on a night or weekend, then a doctor will attend. My first two deliveries were at a different practice with doctors and they were quite um.. medicalized. The last three deliveries were with midwives, using a birthing chair, no epidural, and no incisions of any sort thankyouverymuch. Yeah, I think I would like to deliver with a midwife again
.

This is the first baby I will have carried to term in nearly five years. Considering that our first five children arrived within 6 1/2 years, I feel a bit out of practice. Much of the baby gear has been given away in the past year, thinking that my child bearing years were coming to an end. It's good, though. We really don't need lots of gear with so many arms to hold this little one and so many hearts to share our days with him.

My energy levels have been erratic with this pregnancy. The nesting has been slow-going, but things are getting done. The car seat was brought out of storage, the padding freshly laundered and reattached with all of the correct snaps and buckles by me without requiring assistance from Daddy! (Really - that was a small victory.) The diapers are stocked, the baby outfits are hanging in the closet and my hospital bag is packed by the door. The important things are done.

I cannot even begin to say how thankful I have been for the help given to me by our children throughout this pregnancy. They have all been eager to help out with keeping our home going. Julian has been tremendous. He made all of our Christmas fudge by himself this year! He often cheerfully makes dinner for his siblings or Daddy when he gets home late and Mom is exhausted. Timothy has been navigating his way around the kitchen these days, too. Not to forget that Timothy has become a master laundry folder of late, too. It is so easy to get behind on laundry when washing for eight people, but with everyone's help, we are relatively {{{amazingly!}}} caught up.

I am closing this yesterthought with the twenty week 4D ultrasound image of our newest Sweet Treasure. We have never had a 4d scan before. I was told that it is a bonus for the the level 2 ultrasound that is offered to moms who are over 35. Isn't he cute? We cannot wait to meet him! I don't think our children could be more excited, either. Hugs and kisses come in pairs for me these days. One for me and one for the baby.



Thank you for stopping by!

Top photo credit:
Pier-Jérôme - I asked him if he could see the baby in the camera screen. Yes, he could. I did not think to ask if he could see my head. Strictly a belly shot from earlier this month.

3 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

Praying for you, dearest. And so happy God has given us the gift of the same due date.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheryl said...

I'll keep you and your baby in my prayers.

Lisbet said...

Glad to hear that all is well. How very exciting for your family. I will be checking frequently! :) Many prayers for you!