1. I have a shiny clean soul! I went to confession today. God is so good. I anxiously anticipate receiving Jesus in the Eucharist tomorrow. I am so thankful for our Catholic Faith. Yes, God is SO GOOD!!
2. We won! We won! When I arrived home, the telephone rang and on the other end was a nice lady who informed me that our name was drawn. Someone who loves us entered our name into their parish Christmas Fair raffle. We won.. a bicycle! A Trek 7000 bicycle!! My husband's high school graduation gift was a Trek bicycle. He worked as a bicycle repairman in a posh bicycle shop when we were young. Using his generous shop discount, he purchased a hybrid Trek bicycle for me as well as a Trek roadbicycle and Trek Stumpjumper bicycle for himself. They are a bit older now, but they still work great!
Of all of the raffle prizes, it is just so cool that our name would be chosen for the bicycle! He proposed to me on a bicycle ride. We plan to save this bicycle for our eldest son to grow into. He received his current size bicycle for his birthday this summer. His little brothers were all excited to move up to the next size bicycle.
3. I was reminded of how blessed I am to be homeschooling my children today. I was chatting with a mom in my town whose children transferred to a different school this year. We live in a school district that often receives awards for being one of the best in the state.
My mom has asked me in the past why I do not send our children to the local award winning school? I answer because that is not why I am homeschooling. As the good folks at Catholic Heritage Curricula remind us "Homeschooling is a gift." I know in my heart, that it is a Calling. I heard it in my heart seven years ago. This call is deeply echoed on days like today.
This mom poured her heart to me that her son learned things in second grade that he never should have learned. About adult things.. on the playground. His new school is much better fit and he is allowed to authentically be a third grader this year. She is thankful. However, both of our hearts ache for the children who are still being forced to grow up way sooner than they should. I give thanks -- thanks for our protection and for our innocent little souls who are allowed to remain innocent in our care.
4. A fellow parishioner is the music teacher at the elementary school I mentioned above. She invited me to bring Julian and Timothy to class one day each week. I kept dragging my heels about bringing them. She is a really terrific mom and teacher, but I could not put my finger on why I did not want to drop them off at school for an hour each week. Number 3 is my answer. But all is not lost. We are so blessed because we now have another opportunity. A fellow Catholic homeschool mom has offered to teach music and our children will be attending ALL TOGETHER. This mom taught in a school and now she will be teaching children in our homeschooling group along with her own sweet treasures. Lessons begin this week!
4. I found our read aloud book. I assumed one of the children had misplaced it. It was me. I packed it in the go-bag to read on a carride when Daddy was driving and I planned to read, but never got to it. St. Anthony's intercession came through for me once again. I apologized to the boys for thinking that they were responsible. Humble pie.. not so sweet, but certainly good soul food.
5. Katie came to visit and played scrabble with the children and me. I do so enjoy a good game of scrabble! We nibbled on rustic bread with garlic spread or blue cheese spread and sipped Herbal Iced Tea.
Katie is "my little girl." When I was 18, my mom told me her accountant's daughter had moved back to the area and had two little girls, ages 4 and 6, who needed a babysitter. I took the job and I watched the girls during the day for two summers. Katie's sister, (whom our children call Auntie O,) is Julian's Godmother. Anyhow, when I moved away to Maryland, these girls would write to me and we would go on field trips when I came home for holidays and vacations. Sometimes Katie and O surprise us on a Sunday morning and join us for Holy Mass. Sometimes one or both of them surprise us with a visit. We enjoyed our visit with "my little girl" this week, even though she is going to be 24 this month. (Good grief do I feel old or what!)
6. I was feeling a bit melancholy on Halloween. My husband was so charitable and kind to me. He encouraged me to stay in while he brought our children to his parents home so they could admire the costumes and give them, yet more candy. (They already went trick-or-treating at our local outlet mall last week, making Tuesday a bonus, in my little (and very unpopular) opinion.
7. Our family has experienced great sorrow recently. There have been so many gifts of grace to accompany our suffering. I found great comfort from kind words and actions of loved ones, friends and those we have never met personally, but gave us their beautiful words and especially their prayers. We felt lifted up.
8. Our children were all well-behaved at Holy Mass last Sunday. Sometimes the younger ones find it a bit of a challenge to face Jesus, have eyes on the speaker, fold their hands, close their eyes and pray, follow the words in the hymnal and sing. They did great and we had a peaceful nag-free mass. It was a gift! Please, Guardian Angels, assist these little ones to embrace their faith and be as thankful for Holy Mass as we are.
9. At this moment, we are all healthy! I ate some halloween candy this week and felt absolutely headachy and downright toxic. It felt like my limbs were filled with poison. After a bit of detox tea, lots of water, fruit, salad and veggies for a day, my body was good as new. Reaction to unhealthy food indicates that my body recognizes health. My suffering was worth it!
Even after more candy than I would rightfully allow, our children seem no worse for the wear... but I fear the younger boys are coming down with something. Oranges will be served with breakfast tomorrow. I think I will pack up the rest of the candy to bring to our parish food pantry at mass in the morning.
10. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my tummy. If you have those three things, join me in Giving Thanks to God.
What else are you thankful for?
Saturday, November 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
I am thankful for friends like you. I love this list, and I love you. Your attitude and holiness are an inspiration to me.
How beautiful, Kristina. Your faith and gratitude shine!
Kristina, I went to Confession this weekend too. Isn't it just the best feeling when you walk out? A whole new start.
This is such a beautiful list and a great reminder to focus on the positives and be grateful. We are all so blessed. Thanks so much for sharing from your heart.
Thank you for sharing your list. It is just so inspiring!
Thank you for sharing your list. How inspiring!
This is so beautiful! Thank you for posting it and for sharing your humble, beautiful heart with all of us. God Bless!
Kristina,
Did you see on 4Real that you've inspired a new blog carnival?
:-)
Alice - Thank you. I love you, too!!
Karen - Thank you! Also, my laptop screen has been fritzy lately and even though the computer turns on, I get a black screen on occasion. It takes several tries to get it to work, therefore, I have not been online very much. I had no idea there was going to be a carnival, until I read your comment!
Diane - We are so blessed to have the gift of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Thank you for your kind words!
Tracy and Rebecca - thank you, both, for your encouraging comments.
I loved this list the first time I read it and now am returning to tell you so.
Blessings to you & yours from Minnesota!
Post a Comment